DRAKE - Part 7
Prompt: July 4th activities (Hiking and Picnicking)
It felt strange having the day off, but when one of my coworkers asked if they could work my shift for the holiday pay, I was more than happy to give it up. Now I had the day free and a boyfriend who wanted to spend the day with me. Win-win.
I packed my saddlebags and drove across the complex to Grant’s apartment and ogled him as I slowed to a stop in front of him. The mid-morning sun was shining behind him; the light a halo around his head and shoulders. He wore khaki slacks with a tight black tee that showed off his trim figure, and he held a classic leather vest. His broad grin and small bounce of enthusiasm as I handed him a helmet made me smile.
Grant slipped on the jacket, then grabbed the helmet and put it on. “Are these new helmets?”
“Yeah,” I replied softly, knowing he’d hear me through the new Bluetooth system.
“Hell, yeah.” Grant slapped my shoulder, then slid onto the bike behind me and made himself comfortable. Of course, him snuggling up against my back woke my dick, and I made a few adjustments of my own. “These are amazing. I love that we can talk on the trip, and I won’t have to yell so you can hear me.”
“That’s the plan.” I patted and rubbed his leg. “You ready to ride?”
“Yes! Let’s go.” Grant held onto my waist as I pulled away from the curb and drove out of the apartment complex.
The day was picture-perfect: warm, sunny, and not a cloud in sight. Even though we could easily communicate, we still rode in silence for the first quarter hour or so, just enjoying the scenery of a town on holiday. There were hundreds of American flags blowing in the breeze, and plenty of homes were decorated in a wealth of red, white, and blue.
As we neared town, we chatted amicably about the antique and classic cars we’d passed, and how everyone seemed in good spirits. It was a day to put aside politics and come together to celebrate our great nation. Realistically, I knew that was a hard sell, but with a pretty man riding pillion and holding on tight, I was pushing those kinds of thoughts to the very back of my mind.
I turned off the main road and headed for the mountains. There was a trail I wanted to take Grant hiking on that ended in a clearing with a breathtaking view. The plan was a picnic and, hopefully, maybe, sneaking in a little playtime if my beau was willing. Some guys balked at outdoor sex, but I loved the rush of it.
There were a few cars parked in the lot, but I wasn’t worried. The place I’d found was off the beaten track, and in all the times I’d come here, I’d never been bothered.
“This is nice,” Grant said, after removing his helmet and peering around the gravel lot, taking in the neatly fenced picnic areas and visitor information tucked under a wooden overhang.
“My favorite place. When I need to get away and just…”
“Unplug from the world?” Grant’s gaze softened. He stepped close enough to put a hand on my arm and gently squeeze.
I shrugged. “Yeah. Some days Denver can be a downright bitch. All it takes is one massive fender bender or apartment fire to throw the whole day into chaos. I’m good under pressure, but afterwards I need to unwind. This place is where I usually end up.”
“Just here?” Grant glanced around again. “Or…?”
“Definitely ‘or,’” I answered with a broad smile. I unlatched the saddle bags and pulled out the cold bags I’d packed inside along with a flattened backpack. “Just give me a sec to get this situated. You can check out the map if you want. Use the… Biffy.”
Grant laughed. “That right there. Such an outsider. You have to have more confidence.”
I rolled my eyes. “Just go use the damn Porta-John, then I’ll go, and then we can get with the hiking and picnicking.”
Grant snapped off a well-intentioned salute and marched toward the portable toilets. I snickered and shook my head before packing the cold bags into the backpack and slinging it on. I darted into an open stall and used the urinal. We exited at the same time, rubbing on hand sanitizer and grinning.
“Ready?” I held out a hand, and Grant took hold.
“Ready. I’m excited for this. It’s been a long time since I went hiking,” he said as we started on the upward path.
I was, too, for other reasons. “Gyms are okay, but I’ve always loved being outside. I was one of those kids who—during the summer—never went home until the sun was on its way down. My brother and I were always coming up with weird games and getting our friends to play them.”
“What kind of games?”
I thought for a moment, remembering back to those Jersey summers. My parents always complained about the weather, but my siblings and I didn’t care. Talk about freedom. Those were the days of carefree living. “We lived in this community that had a pool, tennis and basketball courts; a small baseball field. Kind of like the one we live in, but with mostly single-family homes. Everybody lived on a postage stamp lot. The roads were kinda dangerous because we all lived on top of each other and everybody parked on the street, so we went to the pocket playground, or the pool, or the courts.”
“I know the kind of place you mean. There are a few over in Erie that I’ve sold, but I don’t really like selling those. I raised my fee on them, so most people don’t book me anymore.”
“Why don’t you like selling them?” I peered over at Grant curiously. “They’re great places for families. Ah!”
“Sorry, I’m not one for kids. Full disclosure,” Grant lowered his head and his voice, “I don’t want any. If that’s going to be a problem, then maybe—”
“Hold up.” I pulled him to a stop. “Personally, I don’t know where I stand on future kids, and I’m not ready to make that call. But I hear what you’re saying, and all I can tell you is right now they aren’t in the cards. I mean, look at me. I’m a biker in a motorcycle club. Besides, I don’t even have a husband yet.”
The way I’d ended with a teasing lilt and sly wink brought a smile back to Grant’s face. I cupped his jaw. “There’s one other thing I want to say to you. This is something I learned, and it’s worth repeating: never say never. Our lives can change so fast. If we were together and my sister had a kid and, God forbid, died and left me with custody, I would love my niece or nephew so hard. Would you leave me just because of them?”
Grant pressed his cheek into my palm. “I get it, and…” He took a deep breath in through his nose and blew it out. “You’re right. I can only say how I feel now. Who knows what the future holds?”
“Exactly.” I leaned in and kissed him until wolf-whistles broke us apart.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!